Finally a Sewing Success!

2009 has not been a sewing-friendly year for me. I have discarded a lot of projects because of fit issues. BUT, just when I was about to pack it in, I had a success!

I have had Butterick 4970 for about a year now. It is a Flirt Girl pattern and one of the few larger size girls’ patterns. There are a lot of patterns for toddlers and little girls, but very few after size 6…
Little Miss wanted to wear a dress the first day of school. I wanted her to wear something gym-day friendly. We met somewhere in the middle – She wore a tunic with leggings.

I am especially proud of this tunic because it is my first successful refashion! The Little Miss’s tunic started out as these…
Now on to the review.
Pattern Description: Girls’ pullover dress with yoke neckline.
Pattern Sizing: I bought the 12-14-16. I had to make some modifications to the pattern (see below).
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Sort of. The tunic was based on the View C dress. And the gathers were less noticeable than in the pattern drawing.
Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, the instructions were easy to follow.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? This was a pretty simple pattern. I liked the fact that the yoke neckline is still on point fashion-wise. I also liked the fact that there are only 3 pattern pieces for this view.
I did not like the printed instructions for the yoke construction. The printed instructions kept mixing up the yoke and the yoke facing. Hmm, or maybe it was me…? It’s been a while since I followed pattern instructions.

Fabric Used: The tunic in the photo is made from 100% recycled fabric. The yoke is from a sweater tank and the tunic body is made from a women’s linen button-down shirt. Total fabric cost – $3.50.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I shortened View C by 3” to make it tunic length. (Although I did have to argue a lot with the Little Miss to get her to wear it with leggings.) The tunic posted here is the second go with this pattern view.

For the original, I cut a size 16 in the tummy and 12 everywhere else. That didn’t quite work. I wound up adding 3” to each side to give the Little Miss some wiggle room. For this version, the shirt’s side seams just fit the expanded pattern. The shirt buttons and pocket made for additional design elements on the finished tunic.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I’m not sure if I would sew this again. I might use the neckline again to morph another pattern. This was an easy pattern and would be good for beginners.
Conclusion: View C of this pattern goes together quickly and looks good in a variety of fabrics. Including recycled fabrics.
The Little Miss got a lot of compliments on her first-day-of-school outfit. Even from the teachers! I really enjoyed using the recycled women’s tops. And thank goodness I sewed down the buttons! The Little Miss kept trying to unbutton the thing all day…
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s